Category: Academic Staff & Researchers
1. Working at the VUB
For already 50 years, the Vrije Universiteit Brussel has stood for freedom, equality and connectedness. These values are strongly present on our campuses, in our students as well as our staff. At the VUB, you’ll find a diverse collection of personalities: pure innovators and especially people who are 100% their authentic selves. With about 3.500 employees, we are the largest Flemish-speaking employer in Brussels, an international city with which we are all too happy to be connected, and around which our four campuses are located.
Our education and research are grounded in the principles of free research with an eye on human progress. We disapprove of every purely authoritative argument and guarantee the free formation of judgement that is necessary for this basic principle to be incorporated in the community.
The VUB is autonomous and managed democratically. As such, we guarantee fundamental freedoms within our university, as well as the right of the university community to be involved in making and checking university policy.
The mission of the university includes:
- the development, the transfer and the application of high-standing academic education and scientific research, free from any prejudice;
- community integration of this in a spirit of social compassion;
- critical development of everyone in light of the responsibilities borne in the community.
2. Position description
The Faculteit Sociale Wetenschappen en Solvay Business School, De-partment Business, Technology and Operations, is looking for a senior project manager.
More concretely your work package contains:
- Coordinating strategic project management with the team leaders and professor;
- Representing the team leaders/professor in project sta-tus meetings;
- Coordinating project activities with internal and external pro-ject members;
- Leading meetings with researchers to plan, follow up and co-ordinate the research activities;
- Managing budget and timing of the different projects;
- Attending (and sometimes chairing) meetings with high-level stakeholders (business, policy makers, academics, …) together with the researchers;
- Attending project consortium meetings at national and interna-tional level;
- Developing new business opportunities through enterprise, commercial and/or knowledge exchange;
- Supporting project proposal writing.
For this function, our Brussels Humanities, Sciences & Engineering Campus (Elsene) will serve as your home base.
What do we expect from you?
- You have experience in managing complex projects;
- You are a team player with good people management skills;
- Strong communication skills in all formats;
- You can deal with stress and are able to deal with several pro-jects (and deadlines) at the same time;
- Knowledge/interest on e-mobility is a plus;
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Dutch; French is a plus.
Are you going to be our new colleague?
You will be working in a team that conducts state-of-the-art research on electric and autonomous mobility, within national and international projects. You have the opportunity to directly work with policy makers, businesses and academics that are leading the zero-emission mobility transition.
You’ll be offered a contract or freelance assignment, for a part-time (0.5 FTE) assignment of 6 months (extendable, on condition of the positive evaluation of the activities), with planned starting date as soon as possible.
At the VUB, you’re guaranteed an open, involved and diverse workplace where you are offered opportunities to (further) build on your career.
As well as this, we can discuss various benefits (for contracts):
- Full reimbursement for your home-work commute with public transport according to VUB-policy, or compensation if you come by bike;
- Cost-free hospitalisation insurance;
- The space to form your job content and continuously learn via VUB LRN;
- Excellent facilities for sport and exercise;
- Delicious meals at attractive prices in our campus restaurants;
- An open, family-friendly work environment where attention is paid to work-life balance, and exceptional holiday arrangements with 35 days of leave (based on a fulltime contract).
Is this the job you’ve been dreaming of?
Send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you have questions about the job content? Contact Prof. Dr. Lieselot Vanhaverbeke at email@example.com