EVERGi - Innovating the energy transition
The future of energy and mobility will bring us exciting and challenging transformations. At MOBI, we believe that the future energy system will be decarbonized, digitalized and decentralized. Mobility in the future will be electric, autonomous, shared and it will be part of an integrated multi-energy system.
Vision and mission
The research unit EVERGi of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel, has shaped its own vision of a sustainable world in which sustainable energy communities empower the growing human population with a maximum level of well-being, while respecting the limits of our planet, and delivering affordable mobility and energy for all. This disruptive transition needs innovative technlogies, business models and co-creation ecosystems.
The mission of EVERGi is to be the catalyst that brings interdisciplinary science together with industrial innovation in order to fully support the energy transition.
What we do
EVERGi carries out research and delivers innovation support towards the design, optimization, evaluation and demonstration of complex multi-energy systems in all its aspects. A dedicated co-creation R&D platform and ecosystem has been developed to facilitate this process.
- Science for the energy transition: we do contractual research or collaborate within national and European projects.
- Creating collaborative R&D opportunities: we help companies set-up innovative R&D strategic lines and attract research funding from regional, national or European grants;
- Industrial Innovation and demonstrations: We support industrial innovation tracks with our expertise, R&D platform and data monitoring & analytics tools
- Outreach and training: Raising awareness, going towards internationalization and education
Our unique R&D platform and ecosystem:
To transform the inherent challenges into tangible solutions EVERGi created together with the Green Energy Park a unique Demostrator Living Lab, testing and demonstrating your innovations and a Co-creation ecosytem platform to bring academic innovation to industrial practices.
Co-creation research platform in which the Vrije Universiteit Brussel wants to collaborate with all stakeholders.
EVERGi sees itself as an academic R&D partner that helps you towards demonstration and industrialization.
Enabling technologies and synergies
EVERGi focuses on developing holistic models that include all aspects of the energy and mobility sector for an integrated approach.
Sustainable Energy Communities connect renewable energy generation with advanced multi-energy storage and prosumers.
EVERGi has special attention for the inclusion of key technologies to enable the energy transition, such as electric powertrains for vehicles, automation, bidirectional charging infrastructure, digitalization, Internet-of-Energy, artificial intelligence (machine learning) and cryptocurrency.
Expert tools & expertise
Specific expert tools are developed based on several years of interdisciplinary expertise in the field.
This consists of forecasting supply and demand, the management of advanced energy storage, machine learning for state estimation of assets, the interaction of multi-energy vectors (heat, electricity, mobility, …) and self-learning algorithms.
Currently, EVERGi can count on core expertise tools for
- Design of Multi-Energy Systems (CAPEX, OPEX optimal multi-energy microgrid design, vehicle powertrain and advanced assets)
- Demand/supply simulation and forecasting (big data forecasting and digital twins)
- Operational energy intelligence & trading (AI for energy management, vehicle-to-grid scheduling, energy flow modelling and state estimations of assets
- Sustainability evaluation and business models (Life Cycle assessment, Levelised Cost of Energy, total cost of ownership)
- Community engagement and replication
- Real-time data monitoring & analytics