The Vrije Universiteit Brussel values freedom, equality and connectedness and that lives strongly on our campuses with both students and staff. At the VUB you will find a diverse collection of personalities: innovators at the core, but especially people who are their authentic self. with around 3500 employees, we are the largest Flemish-speaking employer in Brussels; an international city with which we are more than happy to connect and where our 4 campuses are located.
Within the Faculty of Engineering, the ETEC department works on the mobility and lighting of tomorrow. The associated research groups MOBI (Mobility, Logistics and Automotive technology) and LuxEtec (Lighting) are leaders in the field of electric vehicle technology, power electronics and lighting technology. ETEC has a laboratory of electrical machines, power electronics, batteries and lighting technology, which we use for academic education, innovative research and quality services. The lab is located in building Z of the Brussels Humanities, Sciences & Engineering Campus in Etterbeek.
As a technical expert, you join our team in the electrical engineering and electric vehicles (ETEC) laboratory where all kinds of analyses are performed. Specifically, the tasks of the technical expert include the following:
- As a technical expert you are the key figure in the daily operation of our lab:
- You prepare measurement setups and you contribute to the design of technical solutions, in collaboration with the team.
- You maintain and repair our electrical installations, material, cables, motors and test installations.
- You develop software and optimize instruments, equipment, measurement setups or parts thereof.
- You test products and setups and provide feedback on this. Finally, you contribute to a safe and clean working environment on a daily basis.
- You also contribute to the administration:
- You contribute to the inventory of our lab and you provide accessible technical documentation.
- You provide information tot the client, supervisor and/or project manager regarding equipment and processes.
- You order and manager materials, parts and tools.
- You provide the necessary logistical support in the work of our employees and you contribute to the analysis of technical, financial, time and other aspects of the assignment.
- As a technical expert, you are aware of our core task of education. You teach students practical skills and support master thesis students.
- In addition, you contribute to our core research tasks by participating in research projects and supporting our doctoral students.
For this vacancy, we expect candidates with a technical profile, administrative and organizational skills, good communication skills in Dutch and English and an attitude that fits within our university community.
- Required expertise and/or diplomas: higher technical expertise: you have a bachelor's degree, preferably in Electrical Engineering, Electricity, Electromechanics or equivalent through experience.
- You are familiar with laboratory techniques and legislation concerning work preparation in a laboratory.
- You are able to gain a good understanding of information and to summarize and assess this clearly.
Administrative and organizational skills
- You can work with software and current applications in MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint).
- You have organizational talent, not only in planning, executing and following up tasks, but also in supervising colleagues and students.
- You have excellent verbal and good written communication skills, certainly in Dutch and English.
- You can easily deal with people; you can work independently, but also like to work together with others and, depending on the situation, to play a supporting, advising or coaching role.
- You like to take the initiative for concrete and targeted actions that really deliver results
- You are able to adapt to changing circumstances or with regard to different people and you always express yourself respectfully towards your colleagues.
- You can take a beating when things get busier or harder.
- You feel involved in the success of our university.
- You act from the codes of integrity, objectivity, equal treatment and transparency, based on the basic rules and social and ethical standards.
A position at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel, with fantastic challenges, important responsibilities, creative opportunities and full of variation. We also offer you a monthly salary according to the scales applicable for universities in the Flemish Community, supplemented with the following extra-legal benefits:
- A solid introductory period with opportunities for personal development through training and coaching.
Maximum intervention in commuting by public transport.
Group and hospitalization insurance, including guaranteed income
Remarkable sports facilities and budget-friendly meals in our campus restaurant.
An exceptional leave arrangement.
The Vrije Universiteit Brussel pursues a modern and dynamic personnel policy with attention to the development of its employees and the balance between their job and their private life. She has an eye for the important social themes of today with a policy within a socially and ecologically responsible framework and she regards diversity as a wealth for the university community.
How to Apply?
Applications should be submitted on the VUB jobs-page.
Deadline for application: 23/06/2019
All applications should include:
- A brief CV
- A motivation letter
- Copy of the highest diploma
The practical selection test and interview are scheduled on 01/07/2019