The position is in the Faculty of Engineering Sciences of Vrije Universiteit Brussel. The candidate will work in the research centre MOBI (Mobility, Logistics and Automotive Technology Research Centre). It has an international and multidisciplinary team of 100 specialists and currently participates in 25 running EU projects.
MOBI is a top-notch research group with an international reputation in the fields of sustainable transport and its integration in the energy system. It is now involved in the development of the Green Energy Park close to the capital. This is a living lab that will be unique in Europe and where the university, authorities and the industry collaborate to carry out cutting-edge research on smart micro-grids, renewable energy and innovative transport solutions. Recently MOBI has been very successful in its acquirement of innovative research projects for this new ambitious initiative, both on national and European level. We are offering a 4 year scholarship for a PhD in data science and machine learning for energy and smart microgrids.
- R&D with respect to the development of self-learning algorithms for scalable design and operation of smart microgrids hosting a wide variety of energy carriers and assets.
- Conducting the research according to the workplan of the project (including literature studies, simulations, data analysis, measurements, etc. )
- Disseminate research results through conferences and journal publications
- Collaborate with other researchers (internal and external) and project partners
- Write and successfully defend a PhD thesis at the conclusion of the research
- Scholarship is open to all nationalities
- An academic Master degree in Computer Engineering/ Computer Science
- Good knowledge in machine learning an data science (machine learning, artificial intelligence, optimization techniques, software engineering, big data analytics,…)_
- Basic knowledge of the energy system
- Interest in research and development
- Good communication skills in English (speaking and writing)
- Ability to work both in a team and independently while carrying out complex tasks
- Proactive and able to take initiative
- 1 year scholarship (renewable up to 4 years)
- Hospitalization cover
- Free use of public transport for travel to and from work
- Extensive sporting facilities and a nursery on campus
- Young, international and challenging work environment at the cutting edge of innovative research
Starting date: As soon as possible
How to Apply
Please send the following documents to: Ashleigh.Hruz@vub.be
- Cover letter