The position is in the Faculty of Engineering Sciences of Vrije Universiteit Brussel. The candidate will work in the research group MOBI (Mobility, Logistics and Automotive Technology Research Centre). MOBI is a leader in electromobility research and socio-economic evaluations for sustainable mobility and logistics. It has an international and multidisciplinary team of 100 specialists. MOBI currently participates in 27 running EU projects and had 49 industrial research contracts over the past 5 years.
MOBI is looking to hire a Battery Thermal Management Expert to coordinate research activities in the field of thermal management of energy storage systems in H2020 projects.
- Design and evaluate thermal system architectures for different vehicle platforms.
- Define system-level requirements, develop concepts and perform trade-off analysis regarding thermal management systems of batteries.
- Work closely with various partners in domestic and EU projects to define requirements for thermal management system control.
- Perform CAE thermal analysis (Comsol, Ansys or equivalent) to demonstrate the effectiveness and efficiency of different cooling strategies.
- Identify issues with the thermal management system controller and provide sufficient solutions to management for consideration.
- Build and manage a strong business relationship with suppliers.
- Monitoring and ensuring the quality of the project outputs
- Performing as a project manager of the activities related to thermal management within projects
- Ensuring alignment between administrative, legal and technical aspects
- Meeting expectations and KPI’s set by the European Commission
- Supervise PhD students
- A PhD in Electrical Engineering / Thermal Engineering
- Good knowledge of energy storage and thermal management systems (air-cooling, liquid-cooling, passive solutions, etc.)
- Minimum 2 years of experience in European projects
- Proficiency in CAD/CAE software tools, especially thermal CFD and FEA tools (e.g., Comsol, ANSYS).
- Extensive experience with various modes of heat transfer and thermal management materials and techniques, preferably in automotive applications
- Excellent communication skills in English (speaking and writing)
- Ability to work both in a team and independently while carrying out complex tasks
- Proactive and able to take initiative
- Competitive salary based on the pay scales laid down by the government
- Hospitalization cover
- Free use of public transport for travel to and from work
- Extensive sporting facilities and a nursery on campus
Deadline for application: 15 November 2020
Starting date: As soon as possible
How to apply?
Send an email with the subject "Application BIC002" and the following documents as PDF attachments to Ashleigh.Hruz@vub.be.
- A brief CV
- A concise cover letter
- Copy of PhD diploma